Well, this week’s Zendala Dare was also a real challenge for me, and apparently others as well.  Being the first of the month, Erin added an extra challenge.  She asked us to use only pencil, no ink on our zendala.  What an amazing learning experience that turned out to be.  I ended up doing three because I was so disillusioned with my first two.  The third one’s no great shakes either, but I’m going to post them all.  I know it’s supposed to be about the journey and the process, not the outcome.  Intellectually, I can agree with that.  But, let’s be honest, ok?  Nobody really likes to produce a piece of art they don’t like, do they?    I did all three of these yesterday (Saturday). but didn’t post them.  This morning when I looked at them again, I didn’t dislike them as much as I did yesterday.  That was interesting; I wonder if there’s a lesson in that about self judgment.  Also, I looked at some of the other entries and read how many of you had some problems producing something you really loved.  By the way, , the fact that I don’t absolutely love my results this week doesn’t mean that I didn’t enjoy the challenge.  I did enjoy it immensely, and I thank Erin for once again asking us to leave our comfort zone and try something new.  However, don’t hold your breath for me to do another one in just pencil, OK?

The first one below is the last one I completed.  It was traced with an F  pencil, and the tangles and shading were done with a 3B art pencil.  One thing I did on this one, I didn’t on the other ones, is that as I completed a section, but before shading, I sprayed a fixative on the piece.  This helped reduce the amount of smudging I got.  That’s probably cheating in the zentangle style, but it’s done all the time with graphite sketching.  Besides, I still got some smudges anyway.

Dare-56c

This one looks quite a bit different than the template, because although I drew it like the template, I covered up the irregular rectangles with tangles.

This next one is the second one I did.  I decided to go minimalist on this one and emphasize the shading.    For this one I added another pencil, a Kimberly 9XXB.  It’s a thick pencil, with a thick lead, and very soft.  I had never used it before and it won’t be one of my favorites in the future.  It produced lots of unwanted smudging.

dare-56b

Tangles, Ixorus, Printemps, Hibred, and two variations of betweed.

This is the first one I drew.  It’s the only one that is full size.  I drew this one with a #2 pencil, and then used F, 3B, and 9XXB for the tangles and shading.  This one had the most smudging, partly because it was so big and I had a really hard time keeping my hand off of it.  I’ve read that you can eliminate that by placing a piece of paper over what you’ve already drawn, but I didn’t think of that.  I think I would really like this one if it were in ink with shading.  The hibred sections really seemed to get washed out in pencil.

Dare-56a

Well, that’s it for me on this week’s Zendala Dare.  I’d love to see your comments if you have the time.  Now I’m off to the Diva site to leave comments on all of the art there.

Until next time, Happy Tangling.

Linda

Advertisements