This week Erin dared us to go back to a previous template with which we were unhappy with the results, and see what we could do to make it fun and enjoy what we did.  It was very easy for me to select which one to do.  Dare #35 – Where is my Template was a dare that frustrated me so badly that I never even submitted an entry.  First of all, I must have been absent in grammar school when we made paper snowflakes.  It took me a while to get any snowflakes at all; but I finally did.  Then when I traced it and drew in lines, I really didn’t like any of my templates.  I think I did four or five of them.  Then, since I didn’t like any of my shapes, I couldn’t decide what tangles to put in it.  Altogether an unsatisfactory experience.  I finally gave up and just skipped that week.

I determined that would not happen to me again.  Soooo, I did about six snowflakes, traced and drew lines on a few of them, and then pondered what tangles to use.  Alas, I was having the same trouble as last time.  I didn’t like the way I turned my snowflakes into templates.  I went back to Erin’s post and reread it, and suddenly I had an “aha” moment.  Erin didn’t like the squareness of the template she chose, so what did she do?  She actually practically ignored some of the lines and drew something in altered spaces  that she did like.

Proceeding with that in mind, I retraced the least objectionable template, this time making the lines as light as I could.  Then I drew my zendala/mandala and filled it.  Here is the result:

snowflake-mandala-2-finishe

Dare #35-Where is my template? Tangles used: Drupe variation, Flux variations, Facets, Msst.

As you can see, both tiles are almost identical.  I drew the black and white one, leaving off the outer border and the shading and photocopied it to add color to.  Then I shaded the first one and added the Msst border.  The second one is colored with Prismacolor pencils.  I love organic, so I was pretty happy with both results.

Here is what I started with as a snowflake template.  On the left is the traced template, and on the right is the template with the lines I drew in.  These lines have been significantly darkened for you to see, but on the one I used, the lines were as light as I could get them.  Mostly, the light lines just helped me to decide where to draw my flowers, lol.

originals-used

Even though the early part of this assignment was somewhat frustrating, I ended on a very high note.  What I added to my arsenal of skills was the knowledge that if I didn’t like a particular template, I could change it anyway I wanted to.  A true AHA moment.  Actually I have done that often with strings I have drawn, but never tried it with a mandala template.  Who knew?  A couple of other things I learned about making the snowflakes.  Precise folding is critical, so a bone folder is helpful. If your folding is not precise, your cuts won’t be uniform sizes; although you can adjust them with a pencil when you trace.   I also found an alternate way to fold on Martha Stewart’s site, here.  She starts with a square and then folds diagonally, and I found that an easier way to get precision in the folds.

For fun, here’s some snowflakes I made and will save for potential projects, since this is now another favorite way to make mandala templates.l  🙂

snowflakes-001

Thanks Erin for daring us to leave our comfort zone and explore and try new things!

Thanks to all of you who commented on my last zendala, and I’m glad you’re here again.  Hope you will leave me a note.

Advertisements